The Benefits of Hatha Yoga
If you are looking for something that can help calm your mind and body, yoga is for you. Yoga is composed of a series of movements that can take good care of your overall health and well-being. There are a lot of people who are already doing yoga and make it a part of their daily routine because it can help cleanse the mind, body, and soul and helps balance everything. The movements of yoga are not just for physical strength and flexibility; they also help your skin and bones.
Hatha yoga is one of the many yoga styles. Hatha yoga is a kind of yoga that allows you to develop your focus on aligning your mind, body, and spirit. It is a form of internal cleansing and getting to know your inner self. You will also be able to practice breathing which helps to energize and cleanse the body.
“The nature of hatha yoga is to gradually connect with the sun and the moon.” – Sadhguru
The word “Hatha” comes from Ha meaning “sun” which represents strength, passion, and masculinity, and Tha meaning “moon” which also means freshness, femininity, and surrender. Practicing hatha yoga can help to bring balance to these opposing energies in your life.
“One meaning of Hatha is Tenacity. To reshape the body to re-engineer the whole system in a very fundamental way” – Sadhguru
Hatha yoga is composed of multiple asanas (physical poses) and pranayamas (breathing practices). These movements allow your body to develop strength and flexibility. Hatha yoga can help to release tension from your body by calming the nervous system and encouraging proper organ function.
The Benefits of Hatha Yoga (For Beginners Too!)
- Strengthens and tones body – As we all know, yoga includes movements, these are called poses or asanas. These poses help certain muscle groups in your body so they can function optimally. After a few months of practice, you’ll notice the muscles are more mobile and stronger. The beauty of hatha is the balance it helps to create.
- Tones muscles around the spine – A lot of people tend to forget about taking good care of their spine. A rigid spine will lead to weak internal organs and eventually, it can contribute to disease. Nerve impulse cant flows properly throughout the body if the spine is inflamed and rigid. This is partly why we sometimes feel uncomfortable or sickly during busy days. But if you keep your spine supple by doing simple, flowing movements: for example a phalakasana (plank pose) to an upward dog or cobra pose, then gradually go back up to phalakasana, it can help mobilize the upper back and make it feel more relaxed. After a few repetitions of this simple flow, your nervous system will be able to function more efficiently through the spine and you’ll notice that you feel more healthy and calm.
- Releases tension in the body – Simple breathing exercises of the hatha yoga series can help release tension in the body. When we focus on our breath, it helps the mind to relax. Breathing exercises also help with internal cleansing. By releasing the toxins that tend to build up in the body if we aren’t properly clearing them. Proper breathing can also help with your ability to balance since it helps align and center to mind and body.
- Improves flexibility – You may have noticed that the movements of yoga can help increase flexibility. But don’t worry, you don’t have to be able to touch your toes to start practicing. By moving through yoga poses regularly, and focusing on deep breathing as you move, you’ll be able to lengthen muscles and bring more mobility to the joints which make all your daily living much more efficient.
- Improved mood – When you’re done practicing hatha yoga, you may feel lighter than when you started. When the body is cleansed and our nervous system is calm, our mind can feel more spacious and care-free. Hatha yoga also usually includes meditation which helps to train the mind to focus and a focused mind tends to be happier than an overwhelmed mind.
- Control over desires – As you practice hatha yoga, you will improve your ability to discipline yourself from your cravings. Whether it is a craving for food, gambling, shopping, or something else, you will be able to change this. Yoga helps you to detach from your senses and your desires. It allows you to become an observer which allows you to see yourself, notice the craving, see that the craving will not bring you deep inner joy, and release the attachment to getting it.
- Positive outlook on life – We already know that breathing has the ability to eliminate the toxins that are in our body. Once these toxins are no longer contaminating your body, you will be able to feel your mind is free. It is then much easier to see life in a positive way. It is because you have achieved something during your yoga class or yoga practice that opens your eyes to the beauty of life. A healthier mind will result in a happier, more positive mindset.
Practicing a happy and healthy lifestyle is for everyone. No matter how old you are, it is never too late to start. Practicing yoga is one of the best ways of taking good care of all aspects of your being. Yoga is a mind-body coordination. It often begins with a physical practice of getting to know the positions and the flow of the movements. Then, it can gradually be a part of you as you understand your physical self and your inner self. Breathe in the good vibes and breathe out the bad and start to live a happier life.