Best Advanced Yoga DVDs
We’re always at awe every time we look at expert yoga practitioners do fancy yoga postures and intense stretches. But for you, watching is not enough – you have to do it like them too.
It is for that reason you are reading this article. Advanced yoga such as Ashtanga and Vinaya poses that generally builds strength and develops cardiovascular conditioning is your next step towards yoga mastery.
Advanced yoga workouts introduce more challenging workout, targeting different muscle groups and help beginners and aspiring yoga masters progress in their journey.
However, many people who are interested in practicing advanced yoga may have certain time constraints or schedule conflicts that keep them from attending in-person practice. Luckily, yoga is widely available in the form of digital learning platforms and can be accessed through both online streaming services as well as through traditional DVDs.
Although the use of DVDs for yoga was popular throughout the early 2000s, online streaming services have become increasingly popular and enable people from all across the world to participate in yoga at any time, anywhere.
The following are some of the major reasons why people have started to use online services and streaming for intermediate yoga over the traditional use of DVDs:
- Online services are more cost-effective in the long-term when compared to single purchase
- Online services provide greater flexibility and more options with respect to the types of classes available as well as their duration and difficulty
- DVDs risk wear and tear unlike online services
- Some online services provide live streaming which provides a more authentic experience
- Many online services provide a community-based approach to yoga through the use of group challenges and communication boards
- Streaming and online services provide access anytime, anywhere unlike DVDs which rely upon system requirements
- Most online services provide a multi-faceted learning approach to yoga by providing access to articles, blogs, courses, and more
In this article, we’ll review the 5 best advanced yoga DVDs which include both online services and traditional DVDs. We’ll also discuss some of the most popular advanced yoga poses and review how yoga can build strength.
Comparison of the 5 Best Advanced Yoga DVDs
Yoga International is an incredibly diverse yoga website that offers both live-stream and pre-recorded yoga classes for yogis of all levels. It offers a community-based, multi-faceted digital learning platform where both yogis and practitioners can further their practice and gain a deeper knowledge of yoga, meditation, holistic health, and mindful living.
Yoga International currently serves over 300,000 members per day and offers a free 30 day trial for new members. Membership options are available for $19.99/month or $119.88/year.
Members of Yoga International will enjoy access to:
- 500+ experts in yoga therapy, meditation, persona transformation, and more.
- Video classes, digital workshops, in-depth articles covering a wide variety of yoga topics
- 1000+ classes of various lengths, styles, and levels of difficulty
- Monthly themed challenges and multi-day training sessions available
- Live stream classes and offline classes
- Yoga International app that’s accessible through the phone, tablet, TV
Class options are available for all levels of yoga practice and there are also specialized classes available for hatha, vinyasa, and other major forms of yoga. Some of its best courses for advanced yoga include Jim Bennitt’s 4-Part Advanced Series and 7-Day Peak Pose Challenge.
Yoga International has received ratings of 4.7 and 4.0 on the Apple app store and Trustpilot respectively from among thousands of ratings and is held in high regard by the yoga community.
- 1900+ classes and 500+ expert teachers
- Live-stream classes and offline classes available
- Accessible anywhere, anytime through the Yoga International app
- Some customers have reported issues with customer service and billing
- Some customers have noticed issues with audio or lagging on the app
- Customers have mentioned that Yoga International has a small selection for its 60-min classes
Among the most famous and recognizable yoga series in the world, Power Yoga Collection by Rodney Yee is indispensable. I am very confident of this advanced yoga collection as it is produced by Gaiam – a prominent name in the yoga block and yoga mat industry.
As a reputable yoga instructor with more than 30 yoga videos in his name, it can’t be denied that the Advanced Yoga is one of Rodney Yee’s best works. The DVD contains advanced yoga routines that will take your practice to the next level.
He guides practitioners who want to advance into building up strength and sequence challenging arm balances, giving you more confidence in the process. He also walks you through a complete series of hip openers before delving into advanced movements.
The routines are great for intermediate-level yoga practitioners who want to advance to the next level. Practice the sequences in this DVD repeatedly, and you should achieve mastery in yoga.
- The product contains three DVD workout programs at an affordable price
- Rodney strikes a good balance between enhancing the physical and mental benefits of the program
- The Yoga Burn Part is very useful for weight loss
- The movements are thoroughly explained
- Not for beginners
Matt Giordano, a prominent runner and yoga instructor, guides practitioners, and athletes to be on top of their game with this advanced yoga DVD.
This collection contains three 20-minute workout sessions: the first is pre-run, the second is conditioning and last is post-run. There’s also a 5-minute bonus video for proper stretching to prevent injuries.
A lot of the runners love this DVD since it makes them healthier and stronger athletes. The active programs allow them to integrate an important stretching session without having to spend too much time jogging.
Thus, the practitioners experience less pain, fewer injuries, and a more agile feeling than before.
- The conditioning sessions with no rests is very challenging but rewarding.
- Pre-runs make up for a fantastic warm-up
- Great and building stamina and endurance
- Perfect yoga workout for runners
- Some non-runners may not find the workout DVD applicable to them
With 5 different routines of different time frames, this advanced yoga has everything a practitioner could ask for. It targets virtually all body parts and the poses and routines flow in an organized way. This smart yoga practice will challenge you, enhance your stamina, condition your body, and relax your mind.
I really like that I have different routines to choose from since I can quickly adapt it to my busy schedule. It has a single 37-minute exercise, two 1-hour exercises, and two long 75-minute exercises. Every sequence is truly focused on enhancing performance, stability, and control.
This advanced workout, though, is designed for more experienced practitioners, and any intermediate practitioner who wants to take their practice further.
I really like Jenni Rawlings, performance. She is an expert yoga teacher and performer whose smart routines are a manifestation of real mastery.
- The movements are easy to follow; even the advanced routines
- Jenny never fails to share her insights on advanced yoga training
- Jenny is a reputable instructor with years of experience in the industry
- More for intermediate level practitioners
I love watching the stunning movements of Edward Clark as he performs a perfect asana. Tripsichore uses asana to perform beautiful, graceful, and advanced dance-like actions that are quite pleasant to watch.
If you want an extreme challenge or something unique in your practice, then this DVD would be an absolute challenge and stunner. The DVD contains 5 ½ hours total of advanced workout: 6 Tripsichore Yoga exercises, three complete Vinyasa.
The DVD also includes 5 1/2 hours in total: Six Tripsichore Yoga performance pieces, three full vinyasa routines, and a 90-minute workshop material that teaches philosophy and techniques.
Personally, this DVD has blown my mind away.
- Beautiful and graceful dance-like movements
- Challenging routines promise great results
- Three full Vinyasa routines develop balance, strength, and flexibility
- Some practitioners don’t like the dances
Advanced Yoga Poses
Some of the most popular poses found within advanced yoga include:
- Hand-To-Foot pose (Utthita Hasta Padangustasana)
- Mermaid (Eka Pada Rajakapotasana)
- Monkey Pose (Hanumanasana)
- Toe Stand (Padangustasana)
- Wheel (Urdhva Dhanurasana)
- Revolved Half Moon Pose (Parivrtta Ardha Chandrasana)
- Little Thunderbolt Pose (Laghu Vajrasana)
- One Legged King Pigeon Pose (Eka Pada Rajakapotasana)
- Compass Pose (Parivrtta Surya Yantrasana)
- Firefly Pose (Tittibhasana)
- Flying Crow Pose (Eka Pada Galavasana)
- Forearm Stand (Pincha Mayurasana)
- Scorpion Pose (Vschikasana)
Yoga for Strength
Advanced yoga is one of the best forms of exercise for developing strength since it relies upon the recruitment of major muscle groups all throughout the body and helps build endurance. Completing poses such as those above enable yogis to build muscle and develop strength in ways that most styles of lifting and other forms of exercise do not.
Selecting the Best Advanced Yoga DVD
To obtain the best advanced yoga DVD workout, there are few things you need to consider to find the right one.
Find a DVD that is practitioner-friendly – especially when it comes to teaching.
Should the program prove too challenging to understand and follow, even if it’s an advanced program, then it may not benefit you in the long run since you won’t be able to master it.
As an intermediate student looking to become advanced, you want to take things slowly at first since you will be dealing with high-level stuff. Even though you want to learn and get results fast, you also want to make sure that you’re safe by avoiding injuries.
Experienced Yoga Instructor
Since you will be learning advanced yoga, it is important that you choose an instructor who is very proficient with his craft. Many instructors are good at the basic and intermediate level but not so good at the advanced level.
If the instructor isn’t experienced enough and doesn’t know how to explain the different advanced principles and methodologies of yoga, then you’d just end up becoming bewildered or worse – injured at the end of the session.
Thus, it is important to buy a DVD only from an excellent instructor and be sure to do thorough research on the instructor and what people are saying about him before you make a buying decision.
I found that advanced yoga is among the best methods of getting into shape, increasing flexibility, building strength, developing endurance, and enhancing mental health. While it may not be easy for some practitioners, the benefits outweigh the difficulties to a significant degree.
Having the best DVD as a guide makes a huge difference in getting the right practice and best results. Any of the top 5 advanced yoga DVDs we reviewed here would serve as a great guide. You can give any of them a try and experience the difference for yourself.
For me, the best advanced yoga DVD is Advanced Yoga by Rodney Yee because it strikes a good balance between enhancing the physical and mental benefits of the program. I also find Advanced Yoga the most informative among the five.
We hope you learned from this post. Do you agree with our list? Which among the top 5 best advanced yoga DVD is your #1 choice? Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments.
Parasuraman, S., Wen, L. E., Zhen, K. M., Hean, C. K., & Sam, A. T. (2016). Exploring the pharmacological and pharmacotherapeutic effects of yoga. Pharmacology, Toxicology and Biomedical Reports, 2(1).