Hatha is one of the most common yoga styles among beginners and provides a great way to begin your yoga journey.
However, many beginners may feel uncomfortable performing yoga in group environments or may have time constraints that limit their ability to attend in-person classes. Thankfully, yoga is widely available in the form of digital learning platforms and can be accessed through both online streaming services as well as through traditional DVDs.
Although the use of DVDs for yoga was popular throughout the early 2000s, online streaming services have become increasingly popular and enable people from all across the world to participate in yoga at any time, anywhere.
The following are some of the major reasons why adults over 50 have started to use online services and streaming for yoga over the traditional use of DVDs:
- Online services are more cost-effective in the long-term when compared to single purchase
- Online services provide greater flexibility and more options with respect to the types of classes available as well as their duration and difficulty
- DVDs risk wear and tear unlike online services
- Some online services provide live streaming which provides a more authentic experience
- Streaming and online services provide access anytime, anywhere unlike DVDs which rely upon system requirements
- Most online services provide a multi-faceted learning approach to yoga by providing access to articles, blogs, courses, and more
In this article, we’ll review the 5 best hatha yoga DVDs which include both online services and traditional DVDs. We’ll also discuss the numerous benefits of hatha yoga as well as some of the most common poses found within the practice.
What is Hatha Yoga?
Hatha yoga is the foundation of the different asana practices and it heavily emphasizes controlled, thoughtful breathing while holding specific poses and most poses usually last for 5-10 breaths before transitioning to the next pose.
Hatha yoga includes the combination of asanas and pranayama and is often a central part of spiritual practices, such as meditation. Most classes are slow and gentle making them best for beginners who prefer a relaxed style to yoga.
The term can be broken into two components: “ha” which means “sun” and “tha” which means “moon”. The overall practice is designed to help calm and align the body, mind, and spirit.
Hatha Yoga Benefits
Hatha yoga provides numerous benefits that affect all areas of health. Some of its major benefits include:
- Reduction in pain or discomfort
- Improved sleep quality
- Better mood and enhanced cognition
- Reduction in depression and anxiety
- Increased self-awareness and self-control
Hatha Yoga Class
Wondering what to expect when attending a hatha yoga class? Here are some of the most common features of hatha yoga practice:
- Most classes begin with meditation and pranayama, or breathing exercises
- Hatha then proceeds with some form of warm-up, such as sun salutations performed slowly
- The majority of Hatha yoga is comprised of different poses that are held for up to 10 breaths. The practice includes a variety of standing, supine, and seated poses. Some of the most common poses include Mountain Pose, Tree Pose, Eagle Pose, and Revolved Chair Pose.
- Each hatha yoga practice concludes with savasana, sometimes silent and other times guided.
4 Best Hatha Yoga DVDs
Yoga International is an incredibly diverse yoga website that offers both live-stream and pre-recorded yoga classes for yogis of all levels. It offers a community-based, multi-faceted digital learning platform where both yogis and practitioners can further their practice and gain a deeper knowledge of yoga, meditation, holistic health, and mindful living.
Yoga International currently serves over 300,000 members per day and offers a free 30 day trial for new members. Membership options are available for $19.99/month or $119.88/year.
Members of Yoga International will enjoy access to:
- 500+ experts in yoga therapy, meditation, persona transformation, and more.
- Video classes, digital workshops, in-depth articles covering a wide variety of yoga topics
- 1000+ classes of various lengths, styles, and levels of difficulty
- Monthly themed challenges and multi-day training sessions available
- Live stream classes and offline classes
- Yoga International app that’s accessible through the phone, tablet, TV
Class options are available for all levels of yoga practice and there are also specialized classes available for hatha, vinyasa, and other major forms of yoga. Some of its best hatha yoga classes include Sattva Hatha Beginner Flow and A Practice For Beginners.
Yoga International has received ratings of 4.7 and 4.0 on the Apple app store and Trustpilot respectively from among thousands of ratings and is held in high regard by the yoga community.
- 1900+ classes and 500+ expert teachers
- Live-stream classes and offline classes available
- Accessible anywhere, anytime through the Yoga International app
- Some customers have reported issues with customer service and billing
- Some customers have noticed issues with audio or lagging on the app
- Customers have mentioned that Yoga International has a small selection for its 60-min classes
This DVD is filmed in a tranquil and calm place that shows the Pacific Ocean beaches, it helps you relax and meditate during a hatha yoga session. This DVD is highly recommended for yogis who want to practice Hatha yoga and flow yoga. Flow yoga is a perfect complement for Hatha yoga. This DVD provides yoga sessions that will help you relax, reduce stress and it also helps improve muscle strength, tone, and flexibility. It consists of two 30 minutes sessions, Hatha, and Flow yoga. Hatha helps reduce and eliminate stress and increases the flexibility of an individual, while the Flow yoga helps build an individual’s muscle strength and stamina. This offers a wonderful way to release stress after a long hard work in the office, it will not only provide physical exercise but it will also help meditate and concentrate at the same time. It has a rating of 4.5 stars out of 5 on Amazon.
One main issue for this DVD is the difficulty level may be a bit extreme for yoga beginners. Hatha yoga session is soothing and relaxing and it will help you relax and help improve flexibility. It mentions using the strap as the instructor demonstrates and it will really help stretch your muscles in ways you have never felt before. The Flow session is a challenging workout that beginners may find it difficult to perform. This will help build strength, develop the body’s core and improve balance in just 30-minute session. It is important to know the basic yoga poses and how to properly execute the different forms.
When doing the 2 sessions, make sure to go easy on yourself and take breaks or rest if you need to. Do not push yourself too hard, focus on doing your best at the moment, practice regularly by encouraging yourself with your progress and you will be able to master it in no time. You can also use the hatha session as a reward for doing great and giving your best effort.
The instructor is effective in encouraging you and also helps motivate you and he has excellent focus and guidance on the breath.
This DVD features Naader Shagagi, he has been a student of famous Yoga Masters like Hazrat Inayat Khan, Sri Paramahansa Yogananda, and Murshen Hidayat. He has created a system of Yoga poses which is called the Yoga of Mystics. It is the mild and calm introduction for Hatha Yoga where he takes you through different poses without using excessive studio production. This DVD is simple and it will help and guide you through each asana and for you to be able to know Hatha yoga. It has a rating of 3.6 stars out of 5 on Amazon.
This DVD is great for yoga beginners. It is an excellent choice for individuals who prefer to do programs that can be done at home. If you are looking for true Hatha yoga instruction, this is for you because a lot of hatha classes nowadays just get you through the poses. Hatha yoga is not just focused on moving from one pose to another, it is supposed to be held for a few breaths and meditate at the same time. Hatha yoga is the practice of bringing the body, mind, and spirit by breathing, executing the poses and meditation as well. This DVD is a nice alternative for hatha yoga class. If you prefer a real hatha yoga experience even while at home, this one ‘s for you.
This DVD is an excellent follow up in the previous volumes of The Power of Hatha Yoga series. This DVD is for higher level or advanced level students. This includes 1.5 hours of the practice session, 40 minutes standing poses, a short rest period, and the remaining time will be done for floor postures. The poses are not explained in full detail which means yoga enthusiasts are expected to know them already. It also resembles Bikram yoga, so if you are looking to try this out, make sure to get it on Amazon. It has a rating of 4.4 stars out of 5 on Amazon.
This Hatha Yoga DVD features a hard and rewarding physical fitness activity. It has the 1980s feel to the way it looks, the teacher is calm and encourages the students. This yoga DVD is highly recommended for individuals who have practiced yoga before and is not considered as a beginner. This DVD is great for trimming, firming the body and making the mind into a Zen state. Make sure to use it to make yourself feel better by using it regularly.
Hatha yoga is a slower pace than a Vinyasa yoga class and is often practiced by beginners to advance their practice. This style of yoga provides an excellent way to learn the different poses and to grow more confident in the overall practice.
Hatha is suitable for individuals on various levels and will work great with a vinyasa or flow yoga practice.
- Grabara M, et al. (2015). Effects of Hatha yoga exercises on spine flexibility in women over 50 years old.
- Huang FJ, et al. (2013). Effects of Hatha yoga on stress in middle-aged women. DOI:
- Kumar S, et al. (2016). Effects of Isha Hatha yoga on core stability and standing balance.