Yoga is one of the most effective forms of exercise that not only helps to improve one’s overall physique but also enhances mental and spiritual well-being. Many people are interested in learning yoga but may have certain constraints or fears that keep them from attending in-person practice. Luckily, yoga is widely available in the form of digital learning platforms and can be accessed through both online streaming services as well as through traditional DVDs.
Although the use of DVDs for yoga was popular throughout the early 2000s, online streaming services have become increasingly popular and enable people from all across the world to participate in yoga at any time, anywhere.
The following are some of the major reasons why people have started to use online services and streaming for yoga over the traditional use of DVDs:
- Online services are more cost-effective in the long-term when compared to single purchase
- Online services provide greater flexibility and more options with respect to the types of classes available as well as their duration and difficulty
- DVDs risk wear and tear unlike online services
- Some online services provide live streaming which provides a more authentic experience
- Many online services provide a community-based approach to yoga through the use of group challenges and communication boards
- Streaming and online services provide access anytime, anywhere unlike DVDs which rely upon system requirements
- Most online services provide a multi-faceted learning approach to yoga by providing access to articles, blogs, courses, and more
In this article, we’ll review the 5 best yoga DVDs for Vinyasa yoga which include both online services and traditional DVDs. We’ll also discuss the major differences between hatha and vinyasa yoga and discuss the best ways for beginners to approach their vinyasa practice.
What is Vinyasa Yoga?
Vinyasa is derived from Sanskrit:
- The term’s prefix “vi” means “in a special way”
- Its suffix “nyasa” means “to place”
Vinyasa is also referred to as flow yoga and it is considered to be one of the most popular contemporary styles of yoga.
Hatha Versus Vinyasa Yoga
The major difference between hatha and vinyasa yoga is that hatha yoga focuses on one pose at a time and allows for rest in between poses whereas vinyasa yoga is centered upon connecting poses together through a flow-like sequence.
Additionally, hatha yoga tends to follow a similar structure each class whereas vinyasa tends to be spontaneous and not follow a set order of poses or strict sequence.
Vinyasa Yoga For Beginners
Although vinyasa yoga tends to be more fast-paced and vigorous than hatha yoga, beginners are certainly able to take upon vinyasa practice.
It is recommended for those new to vinyasa to find a class that moves at a slower pace, typically referred to as Slow Flow Vinyasa. However, most instructors will provide tips for modified poses so that beginners can take classes at their own pace and learn the foundation for major poses to ease transitions.
Benefits of Vinyasa Yoga
Some of the major benefits of vinyasa yoga include:
- Reduction in mental stress due to the incorporation of a steady cycle of breathing
- Provides an incredible form of cardio due to its combination of flowing and continuous movements that link together poses
- Improvements in strength, muscle gain, and flexibility
- Increases focus and enhances cognition
- Provides a wide variety of practices that are fun and energetic
- Provides a form of practice for yogis of all levels
Comparison of the 5 Best Vinyasa Yoga DVDs
Yoga International is an incredibly diverse yoga website that offers both live-stream and pre-recorded yoga classes for yogis of all levels. It offers a community-based, multi-faceted digital learning platform where both yogis and practitioners can further their practice and gain a deeper knowledge of yoga, meditation, holistic health, and mindful living.
Yoga International currently serves over 300,000 members per day and offers a free 30 day trial for new members. Membership options are available for $19.99/month or $119.88/year.
Members of Yoga International will enjoy access to:
- 500+ experts in yoga therapy, meditation, persona transformation, and more.
- Video classes, digital workshops, in-depth articles covering a wide variety of yoga topics
- 1000+ classes of various lengths, styles, and levels of difficulty
- Monthly themed challenges and multi-day training sessions available
- Live stream classes and offline classes
- Yoga International app that’s accessible through the phone, tablet, TV
Class options are available for all levels of yoga practice and there are also specialized classes available for hatha, vinyasa, and other major forms of yoga. Some of its best courses for vinyasa include Vinyasa Fundamentals and 7-Day Vinyasa Challenge.
Yoga International has received ratings of 4.7 and 4.0 on the Apple app store and Trustpilot respectively from among thousands of ratings and is held in high regard by the yoga community.
- 1900+ classes and 500+ expert teachers
- Live-stream classes and offline classes available
- Accessible anywhere, anytime through the Yoga International app
- Some customers have reported issues with customer service and billing
- Some customers have noticed issues with audio or lagging on the app
- Customers have mentioned that Yoga International has a small selection for its 60-min classes
This vinyasa yoga DVD includes 7 20-minute videos that allow anyone who has busy schedules but wants to practice it regularly. It helps energize and restore your strength, especially after a long day at work.
This DVD lets you customize according to your preference and liking and is guaranteed to give you full energy every day. You can choose to perform the solar practices during the day and the lunar programs during the night. You can also personalize each session and mix and match the routines so you will not be bored by it. It can also help you tone your body, improve your core strength or you can also use it for relaxing and meditating to reduce mental stress. It is highly recommended for individuals who want to practice vinyasa yoga regularly.
The 20-minute practice includes standing poses, back bending vinyasa, relaxation flow, and push-ups and vinyasa that helps you become energized. This DVD also includes a 6-minute video for counterposes and forward bends that will test your physical limitations and it will also improve your core and abs strength which lasts for 7 minutes and is finished with a relaxation program that lasts for 6 minutes.
This is a vinyasa yoga DVD that also features Shiva Rea. She is one of the most popular yoga instructors in the world. We like the way she presents the instructions and it is simple and easy to understand and her personality makes you feel like you are doing great with your efforts. It is one of the best vinyasa yoga dvds for yoga beginners and it allows anyone to follow the instructions as if they are very easy. It is also recommended for advanced level yogis who want to try shakti.
Jenni Rawlings is the instructor for this yoga DVD, she is an excellent yoga instructor and she also studied and applied biomechanical alignment into her yoga practice. This DVD is challenging and helps keep your yoga practice fresh. Jenny has a nice voice and the background music is a nice touch.
The savasana at the end of each session is a perfect addition. Do not be intimidated with the 77 minutes practice, Jenni provides abdominal work and floor poses which is also combined with standing sequences. This DVD might be boring to some but the all-white background allows you to see Jenni and how she aligns her body in different poses. This yoga DVD is perfect for anyone who wants to practice yoga.
This vinyasa yoga DVD is something different. The DVD is shot in a gorgeous setting and includes real people who do the poses you will feel like you are in a real yoga class. It is not advisable for individuals who are new to yoga; it is for individuals who have yoga background and knows the way breath is connected to the movement or flow of the poses. The instructor is giving instructions like she is assuming that the participants know the different yoga poses and proper breathing techniques. You can change the settings like remove instructions or change the music playing in the background just like being in a real yoga class. It allows you to relax and at the same time, help you improve your yoga practice.
Is Vinyasa Yoga For You?
Vinyasa yoga is very diverse and its style is certainly considered by some a bit loose and free-flowing.
All of the above options for vinyasa yoga DVDs allow you to practice yoga in the comfort of your home and save a lot of money in the long term.
Vinyasa yoga DVDs are definitely worth a try and are guaranteed to make you enjoy your yoga experience to the fullest!
- Tsopanidou AΑ, Venetsanou FD, Stavridis IS, Paradisis GP, Zacharogiannis EG. Energy expenditure during a Vinyasa yoga session. The Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness. 2020 Aug;60(8):1110-1117. DOI: 10.23736/s0022-4707.20.10821-1.
- Tsopanidou, A., Theodorakou, K., & Zacharogiannis, E. (2018). Heart rate response during a vinyasa yoga session. Science of Gymnastics Journal, 10(1), 99-110.
- Ward S, et al. (2013). Heart rate response to Vinyasa yoga in healthy adults. DOI: 10.4172/2157-7595.1000139