Best Yoga DVDs
If your schedule makes it challenging for you to get to a yoga studio for classes or if you prefer to practice on your own, a yoga DVD may be a great option for you to consider.
The following groups of people may not however be the best candidates for at home yoga with a DVD. For health and safety the following people should maybe consider consulting with a professional.
- Pregnant women
- People with heart conditions such as risk for heart attack, asthmatic etc.
- People with certain conditions such as glaucoma and arthritis
- People with herniated disks, neck problems, prosthetics and those who recently had surgery
- People who are obese (certain positions may need to be modified to prevent injury when too much weight is being placed on one part of the body)
The Best Yoga DVDs
As the title implies, this DvD is great for yoga newbies. It is a comprehensive set of yoga exercises by Jessica Smith. If you haven’t owned any yoga DVD yet, I strongly recommend this one. I’m very glad to have purchased this as my first-time yoga DVD because it allowed me to delve into the wonderful world of yoga. The first part of the DvD focuses more on body toning and strengthening.
It has a relaxed, by the beach setting with classical guitar music in the background. What I love about this DVD is that it uses non-Sanskrit words making it easier for me to catch up. It is reasonably priced and worth the money it is not complicated as what it should be since it is for beginners. It features two 30-minute sessions: one for the morning to activate energy and one for the evening for a relaxing and peaceful sleep.
- Two 30-minute videos which focus on morning energizing flow and evening relaxing flow
- Beach scenes, the setting is in Miami Florida
- Focuses on building total body strength
- Simple terminology, no Sanskrit words
- Amazingly easy to follow making it great for beginners
- Features basic poses and stretches that are achievable even for those who had no experience with yoga
- Not very friendly for people who don’t have much flexibility
- Some reviewers admit there is lack of fluidity in their instructions
Jillian Michaels is a well known fitness instructor who has produced several DVDs. Some of her videos are even on YouTube because of how effective they are. She also has shown up in The Greatest Loser. In this DVD, Jillian Michaels combines yoga and burning calories at the same time. If you want to be nimble and flexible at the same time, this is a good choice since it helps you burn fat while attaining meditation.
It has two parts: the first level focuses on yoga that is more basic as it features free flowing poses it also focuses on burning calories; once you master level 1, it’s time to go to the next level. The second level is more on an advanced level of yoga because it burns more calories than level 1 and it has more balance and twist sequences.
- A winning and well-known fitness instructor
- Yoga and weight-loss exercises in one
- Two 30-minute videos: level 1 for burning mega calories and level 2 for balance and twist exercises
- The exercises are effective in losing weight and toning the body
- It’s affordable
- Not for beginners, more inclined to the advanced level
3. Namaste Yoga
This is a great DVD from beginners to advanced yogis. It features Kate Potter, a yoga instructor who helps you through 13 twenty two-minute videos. The setting is shot in pacific north-west making it a relaxing sight for yoga. I have to admit that I just borrowed this from a friend since it is a bit pricey for my taste. But I think this is one of the best yoga DVDs I’ve used for my yoga sessions because it is comprehensive and it includes various exercises for the mind and body such as the warrior pose, triangle pose, revolved triangle pose and crane arm balance pose.
- 13 videos with a 22 minute duration
- The videos are in a sequence which begins from basic routines to more complex exercises
- It has great reviews from those who have purchased it, it is based on real yogi instructors
- Very easy to follow instructions and it has a relaxing background music
- All-level friendly yoga instructions
- Easy to follow
- Relaxing background music
- Based on experienced yoga instructors
- Reviewers complain about the unclear instructions and poses not demonstrated clearly
Here is another amazing DVD yoga for those who have just started. It is also one of my favorite DVDs for beginner yoga. It shows the instructor Barbara Benagh who will help you move forward in the world of yoga with exercise sessions with a minimum of 10 and a maximum of 50 minutes. She has been a yoga instructor for 30 years and more which is one of the reasons why this yoga DVD is one of my personal favorites. The exercises are more focused on enhancing vitality, flexibility, and strength. The setting is filmed at a peaceful beach thus adding to that relaxing factor.
There are also advanced levels if you are prepared to go to the next level and if you want to face more challenges. There are even exercises that focus on relieving hip pains, joint pains, neck pains and back pains.
- 1 four-hour DVD with 8 main parts that begin with 10-minute videos and then the videos progress to a 60 minute one
- Each part has a specific session to work on like strength building, flexibility improvement, and stress relief.
- The scene is filmed in Half moon bay, Antigua which is very relaxing
- The end part of the DVD has an inspirational talk by Barbara which motivated me to continue my passion for yoga for life.
- The instructor, Barbara Benagh is good at explaining each pose comprehensively which is advantageous because it provides you a lot of time to practice your poses.
- There are a lot of beginner yoga exercises that will never let you bored
- The instructions are very clear
- Some poses are unachievable for beginners, a reviewer complained that there are unclearly demonstrated poses.
Same with Jillian Michaels’ DVD this promises weight loss while achieving the benefits of doing yoga. It emphasizes on having the right amount of dedication and being consistent when performing yoga and weight loss exercises. Actually, this DVD is a little bit frustrating for me at first since it is indeed hard. I did this with a friend who is already an experienced yogi and he even finds it difficult and demanding! But this quality is what makes this DVD popular and effective.
- 3 different sessions with cool down and warm up sessions in between with a duration of 5 minutes
- The first part focuses on building strength on the core, the second part deals with developing abs and backbends and the third part is more on basic gym exercises.
- Overall, it is 55 minutes long divided into three different sessions
- Bob Harper is friendly and encouraging. He is a well-known fitness instructor with proven results.
- Some exercises are hard to do and it makes you out of breath –makes it lose the essence of yoga actually
This is the right choice for those who have very busy schedules because its sessions are conveniently 20 minutes long. It deals with tension and stress relief as well as building strength, restoring balance and enhancing energy. If you have more time to spare, you can opt to do yoga for over two hours too. It has built my stamina and has toned my muscles well. It is considered one of the best yoga DVDs by a yogi instructor review I’ve just read. What I like about this is that it is varied and you don’t have to repeat doing a yoga exercise.
- Videos with 20 minutes duration
- In various formats making it playable anywhere, widescreen and colored
- It has a yoga matrix that can be adjusted and personalized. You can shorten your sessions or lengthen them
- Clear instructions made by Shiva but it is more appropriate for those who have experienced doing yoga. Shiva’s calm and focused approach is amazingly transmitted through the screen like she’s just right there in front of you.
- Very easy to use
- Clear instructions
- Calm and focused instructor who really knows what she is doing
- Might not work well for those who just started doing yoga
- The terms being used are hard to memorize because it’s Sanskrit
The Advantages of Using a Yoga DVD
This is one of the most tempting reasons why most would prefer to use a yoga DVD. Since doing it at home will provide you the benefit of privacy. Doing it in your private space without the privy eyes of the people around you is definitely comforting. It totally gives you peace as you do meditation with yoga which makes it easier for you to achieve the poses and balance that you want.
Admit it, you get distracted sometimes with what’s going on around you. Whether it be the sound of awkward laughter by a newbie in class or the smelly underarms of your yoga classmate. It can be very frustrating to be distracted by these factors but you can’t do anything about it. This is where the benefit of using a yoga DVD comes in. Doing it at home or anywhere you want will lessen distractions and it will let you do your yoga in peace.
Not having to commute or travel to class saves a lot of time already. You just need to head home, do your yoga in peace without worrying about traffic, weather or anything.
This is related to using yoga DVDs as time-saving. Not having to face traffic for class is very convenient and even more when you are doing it at home or at a friend’s house with people close to you. You can even do yoga with your family as some sort of bonding time. It can strengthen ties with your relationship because you are showing your loved ones a healthier lifestyle. Moreover, you could take advantage of rewinding or pausing the video if you find some poses confusing as compared to going to class and struggling to have a good look at the yoga instructor.
Tips for Choosing the Best Yoga DVDs
Now if you fit in the criteria to use yoga DVDs, then let’s continue by looking at the criteria for choosing the best yoga DVDs.
This is the first factor that you should look into when choosing the best yoga DVD. Anyone can make a DVD nowadays aided by technology, you can simply take a video of yourself and instruct even if you’re not certified! That itself is dangerous because those poses may not be beneficial or these may not be yoga. Other yoga DVD companies may not care about providing quality instructional videos about yoga so researching reading reviews would really come in handy in choosing the right yoga DVD.
There are different variations of yoga. Make sure that you are purchasing the DVD that provides the right instructions for the right type of yoga that you want. Additionally, there are yoga DVDs which cater to the type of yogis such as those who are working in offices or moms staying at home. Some yoga DVDs also provide instructions according to the level of experience in yoga.
This is an obvious factor to consider when selecting the best yoga DVD. Know what you want in yoga and why you are doing it. Not knowing these before buying one will only make you prone to making mistakes which is a huge waste of time and money. Consider other questions: Do I prefer the basic yoga or the advanced one? Shall I choose the DVD with 5 minute-yoga videos? Or choose the 15-minute one? Is the instructor annoying? (we have to admit, this is one important factor when choosing the best DVD yoga).