Knee pads are helpful for some yogis to use when practicing yoga. If you feel pain when you’re on your knees and placing a blanket underneath of you doesn’t seem to be an effective solution, these pads might be just what you’re looking for.
Here are the best yoga knee pads available in the market:
One of the best knee pads in the market. It is designed with an extra wide size that will help reduce yoga knee pain. It can also be used for Pilates exercises and will reduce wrist and elbow pain. It is useful for abdominal rolls and other exercise routines in the gym. The knee pads will provide ample cushion that will alleviate pain on the pressure points and protects from abrasion caused by the hard surface of the floor and at the same time, it also helps maintain balance and stability. It is lightweight and hassle-free when handling it; it can easily fit a gym bag. It measures 3/4 inch in thickness.
Pros – Supports all joints, the knees, elbows, and hips. It can be easily rolled up and it is convenient to carry together with a yoga mat. It can be used to extend yoga mats and will be able to cushion the head while resting. It is available in different colors and it is made from biodegradable foam. It can be used as a yoga mat and can fit inside a small bag. It is water-resistant and can be cleaned by a damp cloth after each use. It relieves muscle and joint pain and provides a stable and comfortable space in order to perform different yoga poses accordingly.
Cons – It does not offer firmness like the other options in the market, can be slippery if with too much sweat and has a strong rubber smell.
YogaJellies are knee pads created and designed in the USA. It comes in a set of two which helps both of the knees cushioned during yoga sessions. It is flexible and lightweight. It measures 5.5 inches. The gel-like discs provide resistance that helps prevent knee pain and knee injury during yoga practice. It acts as a great weight-bearing accessory for different parts of the body such as wrists, elbows, hands, knees, and hips. It can relieve pressure on the pressure points during difficult yoga poses. It comes in different stylish colors..
Pros – It is Eco-friendly and it is made from a non-toxic and latex-free material. It is made from a Silicon-based material that provides softness, comfort, support, balance, and stability during challenging yoga poses. It can be used for different exercises, Pilates, and even during physical therapy sessions. It offers the right amount of stickiness that prevents slipping and sliding once sweat comes during extensive yoga exercises. It reduces joint pain.
Cons – It is quite dense, and costs a bit more than other options. Due to its small size, it needs to be adjusted and placed correctly when extra support is needed during yoga sessions.
This knee pad is not the same as the other knee pads on the market. It is longer and narrower, compared to other knee pads. It is made from non-toxic, latex-free polymer that gives additional grip and support and will provide enough coverage during different yoga poses. It is not just for cushioning but it also reduces pressure on different pressure points in the body that results for the yogi to fully enjoy yoga sessions every time. It will not move when it comes in contact with hard floor surfaces or when placed on top of a yoga mat. Its dimension is 7.5″x 25.5″ and one inch in thickness.
Pros – This knee pad has extra length that provides comfort on the body and it relieves pressure from different pressure points of the body. It reduces pain in different joints and it offers comfort and cushion when used in kneeling. It can be rolled on top of the yoga mat and it also features advanced closed cell foam that provides comfort and extra support when using it for different yoga poses. It is usable in different surface areas even outdoors. It is lightweight, easy to carry and easy to use during different yoga poses.
Cons – The knee pad has a strong odor. Advisable for people under 200 pounds only. It is not durable enough; it will not be able to withstand frequent and long use. It cannot be rolled together with the yoga mat due to its thickness.
This knee pad is thicker than the regular yoga mats in the market but definitely not thick enough to cause discomfort during yoga sessions. It provides extra comfort and additional support and prevents slipping when sweating profusely during hot yoga sessions. It is made from an Eco-friendly, biodegradable, non-toxic, and latex-free material. It features advanced closed cell foam that prevents the knee pad from absorbing moisture and sweat and it is easily cleaned using a damp cloth after each and every yoga practice. It measures 26″x10″x12 mm.
Pros – This knee pad includes a carrying strap for a hassle-free convenient carrying. It does not absorb moisture or sweat and can be cleaned with water and dried by a towel. It can be used for other purposes such as gardening, household chores, camping, and giving baths to children using its non-slip surface that prevents sliding and slipping. It provides comfort, stability, and balance. It can be easily stored even under a car seat. It is also usable in different surfaces even in outdoor yoga sessions.
Cons – It indents easily and some users find it a bit hard for the knees.
Buying Guide – Finding The Best Yoga Knee Pads For You
Buying or purchasing yoga accessories can take a bit of research since there are so many products available to us. When buying yoga knee pads there are different factors that need to be considered, here are some:
- Thickness – A yoga knee pad must possess sufficient thickness that will be able to provide the yogi comfort and protect the knees while doing different poses. Thin materials will result in knee pain especially when performing certain poses like the crescent lunge. Extremely thick knee pads will not let the yogi feel the floor but it may cause instability when performing different poses like the Tree Pose. The advisable thickness for a perfect knee pad is around 5 mm which helps with attaining balance and alignment and it can be easily stored inside a bag. There are 15 mm knee pads that give extra cushioning.
- Comfort and Traction – The best knee pads in the market are the ones that will prevent the yogi from sliding and slipping, it is essential when performing certain poses like, doing back-bends by using the knees. There are different kinds, from smooth to textured designs; it will all depend on the preference of an individual. There are also sticky textures enough that will provide the right amount of grip and will allow sliding when performing a series of poses. Maintaining balance, stability, and mobility will help with the alignment when performing from one pose to another and when needing to hold a specific pose for a few seconds.
Choosing the right texture of the knee pad affects the comfort it brings when being used during yoga sessions. The texture will affect how the knee pads feel against the knees when used during yoga classes. There are bumpy textures that are not advisable for those with sensitive skin, however, this type of texture will help in preventing from slipping and sliding no matter how sweaty an individual becomes during the yoga routine.
Comfort is one of the most important aspects to consider when finding the best knee pads on the market. It must be considered, for one to able to relax and be comfortable when performing and holding yoga poses. The knee pads with 3/4 inch thickness will be able to provide comfort and support especially when the yoga session is held outdoors. It will protect the knees from rocks and pebbles from poking the knees.
- Materials used – Different materials are used in creating yoga knee pads. Yogis usually prefer eco-friendly materials used in their yoga accessories; cotton, recycled rubber, and jute are some of the best options available. The knee pads must have the durability to withstand frequent use and can be used in years to come. Knee pads must be easy to clean and able to withstand intense use. It can also be easily cleaned in the washer without worrying about getting damaged and torn into pieces. The fabrics used must be able to absorb moisture and sweat and it must be breathable to help a yogi stay dry, comfortable, and cool enough when using them for yoga classes. The materials used must not be itchy or irritating and allergen-free for those who have an allergy and sensitive skin. The knee pads must be smooth and soft so it will not cause problems when in direct contact with the skin and be easy to wear so it will not cause any hassle when wearing it. There are knee pads that are made with memory foam which have a stylish design and without the cheap plastic shells. Using memory foam for knee pads makes it shock-absorbent and provides comfort compared to other materials. Other knee pads are made from gel substance that gives it shock absorbing properties and provides comfort and prolonged support as well.
- Design – The size and design of yoga knee pads must also be carefully considered when a yogi is looking to purchase new knee pads. It must be large enough to allow the knees to move around and be able to move freely and switch poses easily while providing balance and support. Round knee pads are perfect for elbows and knees and are known to help reduce muscle pain, aches, and pains in the joints. Wide and long knee pads will provide enough surfaces for the yogi to move around freely and will be able to relieve muscle strain and reduce the pressure felt when using the elbows, tailbone, or shoulders. Knee pads made from a waterproof material will give an advantage, especially when sweating profusely during hot yoga sessions.
- Additional Features – Yoga knee pads with additional or special features will help the individual feel comfort, balance, and stability when performing different yoga poses, such as non-slip backing that will keep the yogi secured on the mat no matter what the pose is. Some knee pads in the market also include straps that will help hold a specific pose and one other feature must be considered is the color of the knee pads. It will give a relaxing and comforting feeling while in meditation and performing yoga poses.