Best Yoga Mats for Bad Knees
Do you have bad knees that crack or cause pain with movement?
Yoga can help you ease that discomfort and pain by strengthening the muscles that support the knee. Given your condition, though, you need props such as prescribed yoga mats, blocks, and knee cushions to do the yoga poses without aggravating your bad knees.
Top Reviewed Yoga Mat Options for Bad Knees
Here are reviews of the best mats that are best for individuals with bad knees. Also included are the pros and cons that you should weigh when considering your options in shopping for the most ideal yoga mat for you.
1. ProsourceFit Extra Thick Yoga and Pilates Mat
A highly recommended product, ProsourceFit Extra Thick Yoga and Pilates Mat is definitely the “IT” mat if you are looking for a comfortable, budget-friendly and durable mat. It is another top pick among yogis. It is made of extra thick comfort foam that provides ample support for your sensitive knees and joints. Experience ease and comfort as you perform and change your poses. It is also convenient to clean since it is made of NBR foam, a moisture resistant material.
Specifications: 3.5 lbs, 71” x 24” x 1/2”, with strap
- Extra thick and long
- Soft Comfort Foam
- Non-slip, moisture-resistant
- Colorful designs
- Not the most durable mat
2. Aimerday Premium Yoga Mat
If you are looking to invest in yoga mat with very high quality, the Aimerday Premium Yoga Mat would be a top choice. It is thick enough to provide a cushion for your bad knees. It is designed from high-quality, durable, and eco-friendly jute material. The attractive prints are made of natural non-toxic chemicals. The product is also naturally anti-microbial and moisture absorbent so it is non-slip. You can perform yoga and help contribute to the environment, at the same time. Aimerday delivers with great customer service.
Specifications: 6lbs, 72” x 24” x ¼”, with carrying strap and exquisite prints
- High-quality, durable, eco-friendly material
- Extra long and thick
- Absorbs essential oils and moisture
- Nice design
- Easy to clean
- Washable in gentle machine wash
- Heavier than most mats
- Not for spin drying
3. AmazonBasics Thick Exercise Mat
A top choice among yogis, the AmazonBasics Thick Exercise Mat is another product that provides quality and comfort. Extra thick, this yoga mat is ideal for yogis who are overweight or who have bad knees. It is ultra comfortable to use kneeling, lying, or sitting down. It is made out of durable foam. It comes with a strap so it is easy to carry and bring around. Plus, it is light-weight.
Specifications: 2.48 lbs, 74” x 24” x ½”, with strap
- Extra thick
- Extra long
- Easy to wipe and wash
- Firm, not memory foam
- Roll and unroll conveniently without curling
- Chemical smell during initial use
4. Yoga Cloud Exercise Mat
The Yoga Cloud Mat is designed especially for physical therapy. It is called Yoga Cloud for a reason. It is extra thick that it feels so comfortable performing yoga poses on it. Ultra-thick and extra long, the mat provides cushion and support for weak joints and bad knees. It is non-slip and moisture-resistant that it is safe to use and easy to maintain. The high-density foam is ideal for other uses. It can easily be transformed from a yoga mat to a sleeping bag.
Specifications: 4.2 lbs, 72” x 24” x 1”, with carrying strap
- Extra thick (claims to be the thickest of its type)
- Nonslip, moisture-resistant
- Versatile uses
- Easy to wipe
- Chemical smell
- Too thick for balances and hops
5. Luxury Cork Yoga Mat
The Luxury Cork Yoga Mat is, as the name suggests, simply luxurious. It was designed by yoga instructors, especially for yogis. Crafted with love, is not your usual everyday mat. It is wide, thick and long for optimum comfort and support. It is the ideal mat for hot yoga. It is made of six times more cork compared to other cork mats so it is tough and non-slip. It is made of natural rubber at the bottom, so it is very convenient to roll and store without curling. You can order it with pose alignment marks to guide you create those perfect poses.
Specifications: 7.2 lbs, 80” x 26” x ¼”
- Right thickness, extra long, extra wide
- Self-sanitizing, low maintenance, easy to clean
- Moisture absorbent
- Versatile uses
- Easy to roll and store
These are the best yoga mats for bad knees that have passed the criteria of quality and functionality at various price ranges, from budget-friendly to expensive mats. If you want to enjoy yoga without the pain and discomfort that goes with placing pressure on your knees, these are all great choices for you. You can also do additional research on knee pads that can help provide additional support for your sensitive knees.
What type of yoga mat do you need?
You need the yoga mat that is an optimum knee protector. Here are the characteristics of a good yoga mat that you need to look out for when shopping an exercise mat for your bad knees.
- Thick. A thick yoga mat can help cushion your knees from the hard floor.
- Firm and Dense. A dense yoga mat can properly protect your knees without getting too squishy that you lose your balance.
- Durable. A durable mat not only lasts long. It can help you practice yoga safely and prevent any untoward injuries.
- Anti-slip. The best yoga mats for bad knees are also anti-slip. Doing your yoga on a shiny, hard floor can be dangerous if your mat constantly slips with every movement and you may fall on your knees or hips.
- Eco-friendly. Eco-friendly mats are the craze among yogis nowadays. They are safe for your health and for the environment because they are made of natural materials.
Warning: If you continue to experience knee pain even with enough cushioning and support, consult your doctor immediately.