Best Yoga DVDs for Weight Loss
Yoga is one of the most effective forms of exercise that can help you lose weight and has rapidly grown in popularity within the past few years as a major form of exercise worldwide. Yoga provides an all-around approach to health that encompasses not only physical health but that of mental and spiritual health as well.
Many people are interested in learning yoga but may have certain constraints or fears that keep them from attending in-person practice. Luckily, yoga is widely available in the form of digital learning platforms and can be accessed through both online streaming services as well as through traditional DVDs.
Although the use of DVDs for yoga was popular throughout the early 2000s, online streaming services have become increasingly popular and enable people from all across the world to participate in yoga at any time, anywhere.
The following are some of the major reasons why people have started to use online services and streaming for yoga over the traditional use of DVDs:
- Online services are more cost-effective in the long-term when compared to single purchase
- Online services provide greater flexibility and more options with respect to the types of classes available as well as their duration and difficulty
- DVDs risk wear and tear unlike online services
- Some online services provide live streaming which provides a more authentic experience
- Many online services provide a community-based approach to yoga through the use of group challenges and communication boards
- Streaming and online services provide access anytime, anywhere unlike DVDs which rely upon system requirements
- Most online services provide a multi-faceted learning approach to yoga by providing access to articles, blogs, courses, and more
In this article, we’ll review the 5 best yoga DVDs for weight loss which include both online services and traditional DVDs. We’ll also discuss why yoga is effective for weight loss along with some of the best poses for promoting weight loss.
Comparison of the 5 Best Yoga DVDs for Weight Loss
Yoga International is an incredibly diverse yoga website that offers both live-stream and pre-recorded yoga classes for yogis of all levels. It offers a community-based, multi-faceted digital learning platform where both yogis and practitioners can further their practice and gain a deeper knowledge of yoga, meditation, holistic health, and mindful living.
Yoga International currently serves over 300,000 members per day and offers a free 30 day trial for new members. Membership options are available for $19.99/month or $119.88/year.
Members of Yoga International will enjoy access to:
- 500+ experts in yoga therapy, meditation, persona transformation, and more.
- Video classes, digital workshops, in-depth articles covering a wide variety of yoga topics
- 1000+ classes of various lengths, styles, and levels of difficulty
- Monthly themed challenges and multi-day training sessions available
- Live stream classes and offline classes
- Yoga International app that’s accessible through the phone, tablet, TV
Class options are available for all levels of yoga practice and there are also specialized classes available for hatha, vinyasa, and other major forms of yoga. Some of its best classes for weight loss include the 15-for-30 Challenge and the Yoga for Strength and Endurance Challenge.
Yoga International has received ratings of 4.7 and 4.0 on the Apple app store and Trustpilot respectively from among thousands of ratings and is held in high regard by the yoga community.
- 1900+ classes and 500+ expert teachers
- Live-stream classes and offline classes available
- Accessible anywhere, anytime through the Yoga International app
- Some customers have reported issues with customer service and billing
- Some customers have noticed issues with audio or lagging on the app
- Customers have mentioned that Yoga International has a small selection for its 60-min classes
This yoga for weight loss is accompanied by Flow Yoga DVD and Power Yoga program which also provides yoga exercises that helps build muscle strength and improve flexibility.
Anyone can use this DVD, beginners or yogis who have experience and know basic poses in Yoga. It includes a program that is easy to follow and can be used by anyone who is willing to try it out. You can customize it depending on your schedule, personal preference and fitness goals. It has varying time in workouts and helps improve your yoga knowledge as you continue your progress.
The DVD is perfect for individuals with a basic knowledge of yoga. Although the first section is focused on beginner levels, the second and third workouts are focused on individuals with intermediate levels. This dvd offers calorie-burning routines and it is filmed in a tranquil and calming setting that will help you relax.
Maggie Rhodes is the instructor and she will lead you to three different sections. The first section is focused on beginner levels where she leads you to do basic yoga poses. It is an effective workout that can be used by individuals who are new to yoga and who want to burn calories and shed some pounds.
The second section is a challenging session and it is recommended for individuals who have experience with yoga. It is an intense body workout and you will feel your body burn calories and make your heart race.
The third section is “Beyond” and Maggie introduces light weights and resistance bands that make the session an even better workout. She is a great instructor and she is able to show the different poses and it is perfect for doing yoga at home and you can do it regularly. If you are in search of a yoga DVD that will help with weight loss, it is a definite must-have.
The DVD is perfect for women who want to lose weight. It offers a lot of challenging and intense workouts and it will help burn calories and shed extra pounds. It includes different sessions that include warm-up exercises and cool-down routines. For beginners, it is best for them to start from level 1 and move to level 2 to attain maximum results and benefits. It is a unique DVD that provides an intense and accurate workout. It contains internal sessions that will make your heart beat faster and burn calories and make your physique great by doing it regularly.
This DVD is perfect for anyone who wants to do yoga for weight loss. Individuals with different levels can benefit from this DVD. It is recommended for people who want to practice back-bending and balance poses for weight loss and those who prefer gym-based workouts. Those who have bad knees or sensitive joints must consult their medical care provider before they start doing this workout. This DVD includes sessions wherein getting up from the floor can be quite difficult for those who have weak and sensitive joints.
Bob Harper is the instructor for this DVD. It is highly recommended for individuals who want to lose weight. This yoga DVD is comprised of 3 levels of fitness activities that will help shed pounds and burn the fats away. By practicing it regularly you will be able to transform your body within 6-8 weeks.
The training sessions last for 55 minutes and it is divided into 3 yoga workouts. It also includes warm-up and cool-down exercises that will help you stay safe when doing the workouts. It provides convenience because the menu option can be customized depending on your availability and personal preference.
The first part is a series of Vinyasa yoga and it works on improving the core strength as it uses standing and stretching poses. The second part focuses on working on backbends and abs strengthening that will help tone the body and burn calories. The third part is the same as working out at the gym and it also includes using weights if you prefer it.
Bob Harper also reminds the participants to do proper breathing and this yoga training DVD is an excellent choice for those who are new to yoga and wants to lose weight.
Yoga For Weight Loss
Yoga has become a popular form of exercise for people looking to lose weight. Not only does it increase metabolism and lean mass but it also helps people to establish a stronger mindset towards reaching their weight loss goals as well as establish healthier eating patterns and attitudes towards food. Thus, yoga provides an approach to weight loss that has positive behavioral, physical, and psychosocial effects.
Some of yoga’s major health benefits with respect to weight loss include:
- Significant reduction in body mass index, body weight, body fat, and waist circumference
- A moderate increase in caloric expenditure
- Increase in lean body mass
- Weight loss experience that’s multifaceted and focuses on all aspects of health
- Enables people to feel more connected to their bodies and in control of their habits and actions
- Increased awareness of satiety
- Reduction in stress which may lead to unhealthy earning patterns as a form of coping
Yoga Poses For Weight Loss
There are several types of poses that enhance overall weight loss. Some of the best poses that recruit the most muscle groups and require endurance include:
- Warrior I, II, & III (Virabhadrasana A, B, & C)
- Boat Pose (Navasana)
- Plank Pose (Chaturangadandasana)
- Sun Salutations (Surya Namaskara)
- Triangle Pose (Trikonasana)
- Shoulder Stand (Sarvangasana)
- Bridge (Setu Bandha Sarvangasana)
- Twisted Chair (Parivrtta Utkatasana)
- Bow (Dhanurasana)
Practicing yoga regularly can help you lose weight. You can have weight loss by being more active and practicing yoga at least 3 times a week for at least 30 minutes to 1 hour. On other days, you can also practice gentle and relaxing yoga to help calm the mind and reduce stress. Always remember that stress can increase the difficulty of losing weight because it increases the production of the hormone, Cortisol.
If you are a beginner, you can start slowly and you can increase the intensity of the practice according to your ability. It will help you improve your strength and flexibility and it will also prevent any injuries or accidents from happening.
- A. Ross, A. Brooks, K. Touchton-Leonard, G. Wallen, “A Different Weight Loss Experience: A Qualitative Study Exploring the Behavioral, Physical, and Psychosocial Changes Associated with Yoga That Promote Weight Loss”, Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2016, Article ID 2914745, 11 pages, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1155/2016/2914745
- Bernstein, A. M., Bar, J., Ehrman, J. P., Golubic, M., & Roizen, M. F. (2014). Yoga in the Management of Overweight and Obesity. American Journal of Lifestyle Medicine, 8(1), 33–41. https://doi.org/10.1177/1559827613492097
- Parasuraman, S., Wen, L. E., Zhen, K. M., Hean, C. K., & Sam, A. T. (2016). Exploring the pharmacological and pharmacotherapeutic effects of yoga. Pharmacology, Toxicology and Biomedical Reports, 2(1).
- Tosca Braun, Crystal Park, Lisa Ann Conboy; Psychological Well-Being, Health Behaviors, and Weight Loss Among Participants in a Residential, Kripalu Yoga-Based Weight Loss Program. Int J Yoga Therap 1 January 2012; 22 (1): 9–22. doi: https://doi.org/10.17761/ijyt.22.1.y47k2658674t1212