Best Yoga DVDs for Weight Loss
Yoga is one of the most effective forms of exercise for weight loss and has rapidly grown in popularity within the past few years. Yoga provides an all-around approach to health that encompasses not only physical health but that of mental and spiritual health as well.
Many people are interested in learning yoga but may have certain constraints or fears that keep them from attending in-person practice. Luckily, yoga is widely available in the form of digital learning platforms and can be accessed through both online streaming services as well as through traditional DVDs.
Although the use of DVDs for yoga was popular throughout the early 2000s, online streaming services have become increasingly popular and enable people from all across the world to participate in yoga at any time, anywhere.
The following are some of the major reasons why people have started to use online services and streaming for yoga over the traditional use of DVDs:
- Online services are more cost-effective in the long-term when compared to single purchase
- Online services provide greater flexibility and more options with respect to the types of classes available as well as their duration and difficulty
- DVDs risk wear and tear unlike online services
- Some online services provide live streaming which provides a more authentic experience
- Many online services provide a community-based approach to yoga through the use of group challenges and communication boards
- Streaming and online services provide access anytime, anywhere unlike DVDs which rely upon system requirements
- Most online services provide a multi-faceted learning approach to yoga by providing access to articles, blogs, courses, and more
In this article, we’ll review the 5 best yoga DVDs for weight loss which include both online services and traditional DVDs. We’ll also discuss why yoga is effective for weight loss along with some of the best poses for promoting weight loss.
Comparison of the 5 Best Yoga DVDs for Weight Loss
Yoga International is an incredibly diverse yoga website that offers both live-stream and pre-recorded yoga classes for yogis of all levels. It offers a community-based, multi-faceted digital learning platform where both yogis and practitioners can further their practice and gain a deeper knowledge of yoga, meditation, holistic health, and mindful living.
Yoga International currently serves over 300,000 members per day and offers a free 30 day trial for new members. Membership options are available for $19.99/month or $119.88/year.
Members of Yoga International will enjoy access to:
- 500+ experts in yoga therapy, meditation, persona transformation, and more.
- Video classes, digital workshops, in-depth articles covering a wide variety of yoga topics
- 1000+ classes of various lengths, styles, and levels of difficulty
- Monthly themed challenges and multi-day training sessions available
- Live stream classes and offline classes
- Yoga International app that’s accessible through the phone, tablet, TV
Class options are available for all levels of yoga practice and there are also specialized classes available for hatha, vinyasa, and other major forms of yoga. Some of its best classes for weight loss include the 15-for-30 Challenge and the Yoga for Strength and Endurance Challenge.
Yoga International has received ratings of 4.7 and 4.0 on the Apple app store and Trustpilot respectively from among thousands of ratings and is held in high regard by the yoga community.
- 1900+ classes and 500+ expert teachers
- Live-stream classes and offline classes available
- Accessible anywhere, anytime through the Yoga International app
- Some customers have reported issues with customer service and billing
- Some customers have noticed issues with audio or lagging on the app
- Customers have mentioned that Yoga International has a small selection for its 60-min classes
This DVD pack contains 3 CDs which include 35 different routines that vary in style and duration. Each CD is focused on weight loss, flow yoga, and power yoga respectively in order to build strength, gain muscle, and improve flexibility.
This DVD is for yogis of all levels and includes a program that can be used by anyone who is willing to try it out.
The first section that’s geared towards new yogis focuses on the mastery of basic yoga poses but also provides an effective workout for those who want to burn calories and lose weight.
The second and third sections are best for individuals who have some form of experience with yoga and they provide an intense workout.
This DVD program contains full-length level 1 and 2 workouts that provide warm-up exercises and cool-down routines. It also contains interval sessions in order to promote weight loss.
Yoga Meltdown provides extra guidance for those who want to learn or practice back-bending and balance poses.
Yoga For Weight Loss
Yoga has become a popular form of exercise for people looking to lose weight. Not only does it increase metabolism and lean mass but it also helps people to establish a stronger mindset towards reaching their weight loss goals as well as establish healthier eating patterns and attitudes towards food.
Thus, yoga provides an approach to weight loss that has positive behavioral, physical, and psychosocial effects.
Some of yoga’s major health benefits with respect to weight loss include:
- Significant reduction in body mass index, body weight, body fat, and waist circumference
- A moderate increase in caloric expenditure
- Increase in lean body mass
- Weight loss experience that’s multifaceted and focuses on all aspects of health
- Enables people to feel more connected to their bodies and in control of their habits and actions
- Increased awareness of satiety
- Reduction in stress which may lead to unhealthy earning patterns as a form of coping
Yoga Poses For Weight Loss
There are several types of poses that enhance overall weight loss. Some of the best poses that recruit the most muscle groups and require endurance include:
- Warrior I, II, & III (Virabhadrasana A, B, & C)
- Boat Pose (Navasana)
- Plank Pose (Chaturangadandasana)
- Sun Salutations (Surya Namaskara)
- Triangle Pose (Trikonasana)
- Shoulder Stand (Sarvangasana)
- Bridge (Setu Bandha Sarvangasana)
- Twisted Chair (Parivrtta Utkatasana)
- Bow (Dhanurasana)
Yoga is an incredible form of exercise for weight loss and it is recommended to practice yoga at least 3 times a week for a minimum of 30 minutes in order to maximize results. If you are new to yoga, you can start any of the above programs slowly and increase the intensity of the practice according to your ability.
Keep in mind that you will need to incorporate rest days with gentle and relaxing yoga in order to help calm the mind and reduce stress to further the weight loss process by lowering cortisol.
- A. Ross, A. Brooks, K. Touchton-Leonard, G. Wallen, “A Different Weight Loss Experience: A Qualitative Study Exploring the Behavioral, Physical, and Psychosocial Changes Associated with Yoga That Promote Weight Loss”, Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2016, Article ID 2914745, 11 pages, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1155/2016/2914745
- Bernstein, A. M., Bar, J., Ehrman, J. P., Golubic, M., & Roizen, M. F. (2014). Yoga in the Management of Overweight and Obesity. American Journal of Lifestyle Medicine, 8(1), 33–41. https://doi.org/10.1177/1559827613492097
- Parasuraman, S., Wen, L. E., Zhen, K. M., Hean, C. K., & Sam, A. T. (2016). Exploring the pharmacological and pharmacotherapeutic effects of yoga. Pharmacology, Toxicology and Biomedical Reports, 2(1).
- Tosca Braun, Crystal Park, Lisa Ann Conboy; Psychological Well-Being, Health Behaviors, and Weight Loss Among Participants in a Residential, Kripalu Yoga-Based Weight Loss Program. Int J Yoga Therap 1 January 2012; 22 (1): 9–22. doi: https://doi.org/10.17761/ijyt.22.1.y47k2658674t1212