Many people interested in learning intermediate yoga may have specific time constraints or schedule conflicts that keep them from attending in-person practice. Luckily, yoga is widely available in the form of digital learning platforms and can be accessed through online streaming services and traditional DVDs. Although the use of DVDs for yoga was popular throughout the early 2000s, online streaming services have become increasingly popular and enable people from all across the world to participate in yoga at any time, anywhere.
The following are some of the major reasons why people have started to use online services and streaming for intermediate yoga over the traditional use of DVDs:
- Online services are more cost-effective in the long term when compared to a single purchase.
- Online services provide greater flexibility and more options for the types of classes available and their duration and difficulty.
- DVDs risk wear and tear, unlike online services.
- Some online services provide live streaming, which provides a more authentic experience.
- Many online services provide a community-based approach to yoga through the use of group challenges and communication boards.
- Streaming and online services provide access anytime, anywhere, unlike DVDs which rely upon system requirements.
- Most online services provide a multi-faceted learning approach to yoga by accessing articles, blogs, courses, and more.
This article will review the 5 best intermediate yoga DVDs, which include online services and traditional DVDs. We’ll also discuss intermediate yoga in detail and provide some of the most common intermediate yoga pos
Comparison of the 5 Best Intermediate Yoga DVDs
Yoga International is an incredibly diverse yoga website that offers live-stream and pre-recorded yoga classes for yogis of all levels. It provides a community-based, multi-faceted digital learning platform where yogis and practitioners can further their practice and gain a more profound knowledge of yoga, meditation, holistic health, and mindful living.
Yoga International currently serves over 300,000 members per day and offers a free 30 day trial for new members. Membership options are available for $19.99/month or $119.88/year.
Members of Yoga International will enjoy access to:
- 500+ experts in yoga therapy, meditation, persona transformation, and more.
- Video classes, digital workshops, in-depth articles covering a wide variety of yoga topics
- 1000+ classes of various lengths, styles, and levels of difficulty
- Monthly themed challenges and multi-day training sessions are available
- Live stream classes and offline classes
- Yoga International app that’s accessible through the phone, tablet, TV
Class options are available for all levels of yoga practice, and there are also specialized classes available for Hatha, vinyasa, and other significant forms of yoga. Some of its best intermediate yoga classes include Yoga for Functional Movement and the 15-for-30 Challenge.
Yoga International has received ratings of 4.7 and 4.0 on the Apple app store and Trustpilot, respectively, from among thousands of ratings and is held in high regard by the yoga community.
- 1900+ classes and 500+ expert teachers
- Live-stream classes and offline classes are available
- Accessible anywhere, anytime through the Yoga International app
- Some customers have reported issues with customer service and billing
- Some customers have noticed issues with audio or lagging on the app
- Customers have mentioned that Yoga International has a small selection for its 60-min classes
I like the Intermediate Yoga DVD by Rodney Yee because he organizes and groups the different intermediate-level yoga exercises and routines. I love how Rodney Yee explains and demonstrates challenging inverted poses – he makes it look easy.
The DVD features intermediate-level exercises that are the foundation of an intermediate practice with familiar poses enhanced for more extensive work and better results. It also has a complete 65-minute Sun Salutation section which is my favorite.
I love Rodney’s teaching style, which is precise, friendly, and relaxed. At first, he takes it slow and then gradually increases the level of difficulty as you progress. This is indeed a progression from basic to intermediate-level yoga.
- Build strength, flatten abs, and lose weight
- Flow yoga that focuses on cardio
- Core yoga that focuses on balance
- Shares top yoga practices
- Power yoga focuses on strength
I love Yogaeira because it merged yoga and martial arts for an effective intermediate-level workout. The practice features creative Vinyasa flow with Capoeira techniques.
The DVD was designed to push and challenge you to practice new moves and poses, including backbends, arm balances, and other unique movements from Yogaeira.
My favorite part of the DVD is the technique tutorial, where Amber teaches several challenging postures and transitions while explaining how to practice the pranayama properly. Pranayam or breathwork is performed with the flow to help enhance mental focus and release dopamine.
I also like the Self Bodywork Techniques, where Amber demonstrates her top 3 self-body workouts. Bodywork will trigger the parasympathetic nervous system (a relaxed response) while releasing serotonin and endorphins. These chemicals help enhance calmness and tolerance to pain.
- Technique Tutorial for challenging postures and transitions
- 3 Self Bodywork Techniques (Amber’s favorite)
- Capoeira Demonstration
- 60 minutes workout time with 15 minutes extra special features
- Athletic flow set
I’ve always admired the renowned yoga instructor Jillian Michaels, and I love that her Yoga Inferno DVD helps to become healthy and fit and develop a hot body like hers.
I like that the DVD contains 30-minute exercises for a focused and vigorous yoga practice. This is a consolation to someone like me who is busy with work and can spare only half an hour of workout every day.
Jillian presents smooth and flowing sequences of hardcore yoga, building strength, mobility, and stamina while keeping your body in great shape. Burning calories effectively while increasing flexibility; is undoubtedly an effective intermediate-level yoga workout.
- 30 minutes of focused yoga workouts
- A yoga practice that burns calories and fats
- Flowing sequences of powerful yoga
- 30-second intervals of cardio exercise
- Modified and advanced poses
Intermediate yoga incorporates poses that require more balancing, twisting, strength, and flexibility compared to beginner yoga.
Intermediate yoga is best for those who have mastered most beginner yoga poses and have attained full body awareness.
Intermediate Yoga Poses
Some of the most common poses found in intermediate yoga include:
- Bharadvaja’s Twist (Bharadvajasana)
- Big Toe Pose (Padangusthasana)
- Awkward Chair Pose (Utkatasana)
- Boat Pose (Navasana)
- Camel Pose (Utrasana)
- Bow Pose (Dhanurasana)
- Bridge Pose on Elbows (Dvapada Dhanurasana)
- Camel Pose (Ustrasana)
- Cow Face Pose (Gomukhasana)
- Crane / Crow Pose (Bakasana / Kakasana)
- Eagle Pose (Garudasana)
- Elimination / Garland Pose (Malasana)
- Extended Hand to Big Toe Pose (Utthita Hasta Padangustasana)
- Warrior III Pose (Virabhadrasana III)
- Tortoise Pose (Kurmasana)
How to Choose the Best Intermediate Yoga DVD
You should consider the following major factors to select the best intermediate yoga DVD for your goals and health needs:
- Style of practice and poses that are geared towards your experience level and goals for the practice
- Instructors that provide clear and helpful guidance in mastering key poses, postures, and breathing techniques
- Length of time that matches your intended timeframe for your practice and allows you to maximize your training
- Setting and music that provide a tranquil atmosphere and promote a calm state of mind
Intermediate yoga provides an incredible form of exercise that enhances fitness and provides mental and emotional benefits.
All of the above programs provide intermediate-level yoga routines designed to improve your posture, strength, flexibility, and vitality.
Check out one of our favorite intermediate yoga practices from Rodney Yee’s Intermediate Yoga DVD:
Which among the 5 best intermediate yoga DVDs is your top choice? Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments.
Parasuraman, S., Wen, L. E., Zhen, K. M., Hean, C. K., & Sam, A. T. (2016). Exploring the pharmacological and pharmacotherapeutic effects of yoga. Pharmacology, Toxicology and Biomedical Reports, 2(1).